Saturday, October 3, 2015

Cattails

If it wasn't for the slant of the sun and the diminishing supply of apples, today could have posed as a lovely, mild summer day in the Pacific Northwest. The temperature was nearly 70 when I made my way toward the wetlands this afternoon. A gentle breeze rippled across the pond as bees continued to frequent the clover, two snakes slithered across my path (one a good 18 inches long -- I jumped), the ducks dabbled, the dragonflies darted, and the hummingbirds hummed. October, you say? I don't believe it.





I peeked down my favorite log, still sprouting summer's Queen Anne's lace, and was met with another fall surprise. Usually it's a pair of ducks that peer back at me from beneath a verdant bower of cattails. But not today.

 
Next week promises to be another warm one. Even so, I have my new rain jacket ready and waiting. I know those days will come.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment