Thursday, May 12, 2016

Catching Grace

"Do you ever bring your Bible to your log?" he wondered.

I actually hadn't considered it, but once suggested, it seemed to be the perfectly logical thing to do. I had been describing for Aidan "my log," (which is really anyone and everyone's log) and my habit of taking a minute to sit and pray, especially when the trail is still and quiet.


At times I follow the advice I learned from Elisabeth Elliot, who suggested taking a moment to open one's hands in a gesture of release. I clutch so much in this life that a little surrender is always a good idea.

So I sit on my log, tuck my knees up under my chin, rest my hands on either side of me, palms up, and release.


Here's the miraculous thing about such a posture: when we open our hands in surrender, emptiness, and release, those same hands also happen to be open to receive.

I receive the warmth of the spring sunshine and the assurance that every good gift that the Lord has in mind for me, He will give. I catch grace.

"Experiencing the present purely is being emptied and hollow; 
you catch grace as a man fills his cup under a waterfall."
Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek


No comments:

Post a Comment