Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Wednesday Oasis

September is officially in full swing now that piano lessons have started up again. Although it makes our schedule more busy (and rhythmic), I do enjoy the oasis in the middle of the week. Especially since this oasis is my parents' home which overlooks the woods. Gazing out the kitchen nook windows never ceases to bring a calm to my spirit.



The feeders were alive with the morning activity of nuthatches, chestnut-backed chickadees, and the occasional Anna's hummingbird. As the kids practiced their scales, I poised myself quietly on the deck and reveled in the vibrant jewels of September.





At one point a swallowtail butterfly flitted into view. My dad had just stepped out onto the deck with me, and we enjoyed watching the creature's intricate dance. Suddenly, a hungry Stellar's Jay swept onto the scene. He darted and dove at the poor little thing, and I oh-ed and eeek-ed, hoping he'd remain a hungry Stellar's Jay. I think he did.


The scales and etudes continued, and I roamed about the property for a bit, admiring the cattails and towering maple trees. (My parents brought just one little cattail from my mom's childhood home in Nevada a few years ago, and they very quickly adapted and flourished.) The maple trees are heavy laden with seedpods, already quite brown now, and looking rather fallish.




With a farewell to the pond (and my favorite pond caretaker) I climbed back up toward the house in the warm sunshine to collect my children.



I look forward to observing the weekly fall and winter changes that will take place at our Wednesday oasis. And I'm thankful for my parents who tend it so beautifully, blessing the many who find such a warm welcome, both indoors and out.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment